Imagine if your baby came with an instruction manual, something along the lines of: Best Practices for Raising a Child Who Loves Jesus and People. While we’re living that dream, imagine if that manual contained a personalized addendum specific to that growing child, full of details like “how to get this baby to sleep,” “what to do when this kid tells a lie,” and “top six things that motivate this teenager.”
Search “Christian parenting books” on Amazon and you’ll see “over 10,000 results” at the top of the page. Dr. Kevin Leman wins the prize for best titles, with such offerings as Making Your Kid Mind Without Losing Yours and Have a New Kid by Friday. (Honorable mention goes to Get Out of My Life, But First Could You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall?: A Parent’s Guide to the New Teenager.) Much as we would love for raising kids to be as easy as skimming a book that makes a pithy promise, it’s not. But there are excellent resources out there, books that can guide parents who want to disciple their children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Eph 6:4).
Rooted’s staff and Parent Steering Committee have collaborated to bring you the best parenting books (in no particular order!), written by authors who keep the gospel front and center as they guide parents to do the same. This article only highlights a few of the best; we invite you to check out our resources tab for many more.
- Parenting; 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family by Paul David Tripp
- Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens by Paul David Tripp
- Family Discipleship; Leading Your Home through Time, Moments, and Milestones by Matt Chandler and Adam Griffin
- Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Ted Tripp
- The One Year Praying Through the Bible For Your Kids: A Daily Devotional for Parents with 365 Scripture Readings, Reflections, and Prayer Prompts by Nancy Guthrie
- Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson
- Parenting Ahead: Preparing Now for the Teen Years by Kristen Hatton
May these books bless you, encourage you, and point you to the best Parent of all.
Interested in learning more about gospel-centered parenting? Check out Rooted’s online family discipleship courses on Rooted Reservoir.